Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Moodswings and Other Things

Do you ever get into weird moods? So that you don't know whether to laugh or get angry?

Like sometimes when i'm driving i drive purposely on the shoulder, so that people will flash their hazards at me as they pass. Just because i love hearing people say thank you. It makes me feel accomplished, but then i think about it and i realise i must be mad ("but then all the best people are").

Or when i go to the supermarket to buy something small, like a chocolate or one bottle of juice. I stand at the express till, that only handles customers with ten items or less, and then there's someone in front of me with a fully loaded trolley. Or a basket that looks suspiciously full. "That surely can't be just ten items!"

So as they're unpacking their items onto the counter i count them, one by one. I always catch myself doing this and i have to laugh. Or even just smile ruefully at myself. (Sometimes i do laugh out loud and then people look at me like i'm the loon. He's the one standing in the wrong queue!)

But on a really bad day, when the person has precisely ten items and then they ask the cashier to add a packet, i want to point an accusing finger, "Aha! That's eleven items! Please move; you're in my way! Can't you see this is an express queue???!!!"

Of course i never do that. Because it's rude. And because it actually doesn't matter. For every one person who disobeys the express checkout rule, there are nine others who obey it. (Or maybe more than that. I don't know. Someone should research it.)

Most days i don't even notice their overburdened baskets. Other days i'm just in a mood that wants to attack unsuspecting supermarket offenders. (Even though i've personally done much worse. Although not in a supermarket.)

What situation gets you so riled up that you don't know whether to laugh or cry?

No comments:

Post a Comment